Wyzant iOS Student and Tutor Apps
Helping individuals further their educational goals
I started with Wyzant in April of 2016 and built a team to manage the future of the Student and Tutor iOS apps.
Wyzant has two main apps:
- Student App: Finds tutors for any subject, set up meetings, and interact with the tutor up until the in-person or online lesson
- Tutor App: Interacts with students, schedule lessons, and curate subjects to help tutors manage their tutoring business
I architected a simplified Swift-based foundation to speed up development time and reduce overhead utilizing generics and protocols with associated types. This new Swift code included unit tests for Swift and Objective-C classes. I also spear-headed the implementation Wyzant’s app rebranding style with all new UI controls, colors, and imagery.
Architecturally, I removed the hamburger menu in favor of bottom tab bar and removed the legacy email-based messaging system to simplified iMessage-esque style communication. Pushed forward to modernize the apps, moved from Swift 2 to 3, updated for iOS 10, and implemented new iOS technologies into the apps (Dynamic Type, Spotlight).
Additionally I converted the apps to a Swift-only approach for all new code (with tests!), and moved from Cocaopods to Carthage for dependency management. This helped decrease build and development time.
- Alamofire with RESTful APIs
- Mixed Swift 3 code with Objective-C code
- Implemented Auto Layout and Dynamic Type
- Required unit tests for new Swift code
- Supported 4.7”+ screen sizes
- Push Notification migration from Parse to Pusher
- Storyboard merge conflict hero
- Migrated custom cocoapod framework, to carthage frameworks
- Rearchitected app foundation off of legacy code
- Added 1Password integration
- git & GitHub with feature-based pull requests
- Team Size: Up to 3 Developers